Monday 3 November 2014

Introduction

This blog is going to chart my journey through the City & Guilds Diploma in Embroidery course run by Distant Stitch.

 

I have been involved with textiles in one form or another for most of my life. My Mum was a very keen sewer who had a deep love and understanding of textiles which I think came from her early years spent working in the weaving factories in Lancashire. She taught me to sew at a very early age and my earliest and happiest memories involve sitting under her sewing table playing and 'sewing' with her. During the 80's I made all my own clothes and loved to design and create fashionable styles that no one else had. I opened a shop in 1988, which sold wedding dresses and fabrics and notions and I designed and made one-off wedding dresses and ball gowns.

 

I took a complete change of direction after that until ill health forced me to look for something to do to get me out and about a little and what is now called the Certificate in Embroidery was suggested to me. It is some years since I completed my Certificate in Embroidery and since then I have found it difficult to find a way forward with my work. I have done nowhere near as much as I would have liked to do and never seem to find my own style and really admire artists who manage to have an 'artistic signature' that shows in their work.

 

I am hoping that this course will help me to find the motivation to begin to work regularly on my creative studies, I am hoping to gain a routine and a more methodical system in which to create artwork that I am happy with and finally, I am hope to develop my own style.



Below - sample taken from me Certificate in Embroidery. The inspiration was reflections on the sea, it is hand painted on satin and worked in hand and machine stitch. I envisaged this becoming the front panel of a corset.

 

 

1 comment: